Tomato is a fruit that is also considered a vegetable and is extensively used in making a wide variety of dishes. Both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike use it in their dishes all over the world and also for snacks. There will be few cultures in the world, that is if there is any, that does not know or use tomato in their dishes, smoothies, juice or what have you. It has many nutritional benefits in addition to its preference in many cultures. Besides cooking, tomato can be used in a number of ways to enhance your beauty. It is considered to be the panacea of skin. It is believed that consuming tomato and tomato products will give you a healthy and beautiful skin. Its beauty benefits are gaining popularity with every passing day. Benefits of tomatoes for skin include the following:
1. Treats Open Pores:
• Add four drops of tomato juice to 1 tablespoon of water and apply it on your face with the help of a cotton ball.
• Gently massage your skin with this mixture and leave it on for 15 minutes. Regular application of this will shrink the pore size.
2. Glowing Skin:
Tomatoes are not just an important part of a healthy diet but also work wonders when applied topically on the skin. Applying tomato juice or rubbing tomato halves on the skin evens out the skin and revives the glow giving you a healthy looking skin. It contains high amount of Vitamin C which is known to brighten skin.
3. Treats Skin Conditions:
Tomato seed oil is the newest addition to the line of natural carrier oils and is excellent for treating several skin conditions. These are packed with a substance that fights free radicals and signs of ageing. Tomato seed oil is used for the treatment of mild to severe skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It is also helpful in treating dry and damaged skin.
Use a moderate quantity of oil to massage the affected areas of your skin. Leave it overnight and wash it off the next day.
• You can also add this oil to your facial creams, moisturizer and scrubs, to keep the skin soft and smooth.
4. Treats Acne:
Vitamin A and C are commonly found in many acne treating medicines and ointments. The high acidic content in tomatoes helps to treat rashes and acne.
• If you are suffering from tiny zits on your face, then cut the tomato in two halves and apply the inside of it on your face
• . If you suffer from severe acne problems then peel a fresh tomato and mash it. Apply this pulp on your face and leave it for an hour.
• Rinse it off and pat dry. Use this pack regularly to get rid of tan and pimples.
5. Prevents Excess Oil Secretion:
Excess sebum production leads to clogging of pores that leads to pimples, dirt build up and uneven skin tone. Squeeze juice of 2 tomatoes and add 4 tablespoons of cucumber juice to it. Apply this homemade toner to your face daily with the help of a cotton ball to control excess oil and shine and to unclog the pores.
6. Prevents Signs of Ageing:
Tomatoes and its products enable the skin to absorb oxygen and prevent the signs of ageing. It provides an amazing natural skin treatment which can make the skin look younger and healthy with less effort.
7. Acts as a Natural Sunscreen:
According to various studies, tomato contains an antioxidant called lycopene which acts as a natural sunscreen. This provides the skin protection from harsh UV rays.
8. Acts as a Stress Reliever:
Tomato extract is often used in luxurious body massage oils to combat visible sign of stress on the skin. Tomato extract is also used in eye creams, which, along with other essential ingredients, leaves the eyes looking fresh and revitalized.
9. Perfect Astringent:
The astringent properties of tomato make it an excellent choice for combination skin.
• A pack made from mashed avocados and tomatoes soothes the skin and cleanses it thoroughly to give you a glowing complexion.
• Apply this face pack and wash it off with lukewarm water after 20 to 30 minutes. Tomato contains natural oil reducing and astringent properties while avocado provides antiseptic and moisturizing effect to the skin.
10. Fights Cellular Damage:
Consumption of at least 16 milligrams of lycopene every day reduces the amount of free radicals in the body to give you a youthful kin. It fights cellular damage and reddening of the skin and also retains the moisture, thus preventing fine lines and wrinkles. This property of tomato makes it an amazing anti -ageing product.
11. Natural Bleaching Agent:
Tomato is considered as a natural bleaching agent and is very helpful in lightening the skin tone.
• Prepare a face pack by mixing 1 teaspoon of oatmeal, 1 teaspoon of yogurt and 2 teaspoon of tomato pulp.
• Apply it on the face and neck and leave it for 20 minutes. Oatmeal will gently exfoliate the skin, while yoghurt and tomato will help to clear the blemishes. This improves the complexion.
12. Prevents Sunburn:
According to Prevention Magazine, people who consumed 5 tablespoon of tomato paste daily for 3 consecutive months were naturally protected against sun burn. Sun burnt skin can also be treated by applying tomato on the affected parts.
• Make a pack by mixing 2 teaspoons of tomato pulp with 1 teaspoon of yoghurt. Apply this on the face, neck, hands and feet.
• Tomato cools the skin while yoghurt provides a protein boost to make the skin soft and supple.
13. Smooth Skin:
Mix honey with tomato juice to make a thick paste. Apply it on the face and wash it off after 15 minutes to get a smooth and glowing skin.
14. Removes Dead Skin Cells:
Tomatoes can greatly help you to remove dead skin cells.
• Grind tomatoes in a mixer with the seeds and add 1 teaspoon of sugar to it.
• Apply it on the face and massage gently in circular motion.
You can also cut 1 tomato into 2 halves and sprinkle some sugar on it. Gently scrub your skin with it to do away with dead skin cells and get a clean and fresh looking skin. That is exfoliation, your beauty is not complete without exfoliating at least once a week.